The Methuen Police Department School Services Unit is supervised by Sgt. Walter Fleming. Through education and enforcement, this unit focuses on youth-related issues affecting the city of Methuen. Sgt. Fleming supervises our five School Services Officers who are assigned to our public schools. Having school resource officers in the schools allows each officer to know their students, and for the students to know their officer. The following programs are also a part of the School Resources:
- School Resource Officer Curriculum - officers teach a myriad of programs, including winter safety, playground safety, bus evacuations, and fingerprinting of all kindergarten-age children.
- Anti-Bullying Program - the school resource officers are members of a district-wide anti-bullying team and attend mandatory meetings and are involved in all aspects of the program.
- Juvenile Probation program - this program is co-coordinated with Lawrence District Court Probation and consists of the officers conducting residential checks of those on probation accompanied by probation officers to ensure conditions of probation are being met.
- Traffic - school officers monitor and assist in traffic issues at school drop-off and dismissal.
- Residency Checks - School officers assist administrators in the validation of students' addresses when requested.
- Develop safety protocols for the new high school building.
- The School Resource Unit will continue to address all new school safety practices including but not limited to the implementation of A.L.I.C.E. (Alert Lockdown Inform Counter Evacuate) lockdown procedures throughout the city schools.
School Resource Officers